Friday, November 26, 2010
My Monthly Report for November 2010:
1. Violent Crime Strategy - The final version is complete and will be going to Cabinet Agenda planning very soon and hopefully before Cabinet in December.
2. Dangerous Dogs Strategy - I agreed an IDM to consult on the Strategy which will include a borough-wide Dog Control order and is planned to go to Cabinet in March. It is very much supported by the Deputy Mayor for Community Safety and similar Government Legislation is also progressing.
3. Fireworks - We had a relatively quiet time over the 2 weeks of Halloween and Guy Fawkes Night with a 50% reduction in Police and fire Brigade calls in the 2 weeks leading up to 5th November and on the night a 32% reduction in Police calls and a 57% reduction in Fire Brigade calls so all in all a good result from a very successful 2 week campaign of communication, prevention and enforcement!
4. Home Office Tilley Award - Southwark Council won the London Region Tilley Awartd and came Third in the National Home Office Tilley Award for our work on gang disruption in Peckham. The Trophy is in the Tooley Street Reception Cabinet!
5. Noise Abatement Society John Connell Award - Southwark Council also won an Award for our work on noise control with the developers of the Shard and I had the pleasure of accepting the Award and giving another award to our very own Alan Blissett, a lifetime Achievement Award for 47 years...and counting!... with Southwark Council!!
6, GLA/MPA Community Safety Roadshow in Greenwich - I attended the Roadshow and spoke to Kit Malthouse about our violent crime and Dog control Strategies and about possibilities of securing additional police resources in Southwark in the future.
7. Snow and Frost Preparations - I attended an Emergency planning Meeting today to discuss the cold weather expected over the next week and the likelihood of severe frost and some snow. It looks like the gritting lorries will be out this weekend and we have our salt stocks up to 900 tonnes with another 500 tonnes on order so looks like we are well set up. We also discussed priority roads and pavements and what we could be on estates so a really useful meeting.
8. Damilola Taylor 10th Anniversary of his tragic death - There is considerable Press and Media interest over the past week culminating in the Anniversary of Damilola's death tomorrow.
I have been interviewed by the Independent on Sunday, South London press and the Guardian with radio interviews on LBC and BBC Radio London Drivetime this evening and possibly more over the weekend with hopefully a positive story about Peckham today as compared with 10 years ago and of Damilola's Legacy!!
9. Spirit of London Reception in 10 Downing Street - I attended the Prime Ministers Reception at No.10 with all of those Shortlisted for the Spirit of London Awards at the O2 tomorrow. I spoke to Patrons Alexandra Burke and Christine Ohuruogu and to the parents of Jimmy Mizzen.
10. Clichy Visit to Southwark - There was a strong Community Safety presence in the recent Clichy delegation visit to Southwark with the Deputy Mayor for Community Safety, the Head Officer for Community Safety and a Senior Police Officer so I spent a day with them taking them to our CCTV Control Room, the Shard and out with the Community Wardens which seemed to go down well and i have an invite to visit Clichy next year!
Posted by John Joseph Friary at 1:31 pm
Monday, November 15, 2010
Tilley and John Connell Award Winners, Clichy Visit , Remembrance sunday in Southwark and Hibs back to winning ways!!!
It was an Awards week special with two dates at the House of Commons, firstly winning the Home Office Tilley Award for London and getting third place Nationally for our work disrupting Gangs in Peckham.
Secondly we won the Noise Abatement Society John Connell Award for our work with the builders of the Shard at London Bridge. I also presented my friend Alan Blissett with a Lifetime Achievement Award for 47years work at Southwark controlling noise!!
We had a delegation from our Twin Town of Clichy and they has a Community Safety focus so I spent an afternoon and evening with them showing them what we were doing in Southwark!!
This is me with my Clichy Counterpart in the Southwark Community Wardens control room Room. I was really envious of his nice sash!!!
Posted by John Joseph Friary at 12:16 pm