I was re-elected as one of the 3 Councillors for Camberwell Green and you can see the results bleow:
I am also a Member of Camberwell Community Council
I am the Labour Group Spokesperson for Community safety on the Southwark Labour Group Shadow Executive
I am a Member of Southwark Labour Group
I am Health & Safety Advisor at London Metropolitan University Health & Safety Home Page
London Metropolitan Who's Who Entry
I am a lifelong Hibernian fan and a member of the London Hibernian Supporters Club Entry
I am also a Trustee of Camberwell After School Project
Some of the things that are currently occupying my mind!:
Southwark Council :
- "Naming and Shaming" of ASBO Recipients - There has been a lot of local press coverage on this in both the SLP and Southwark News. in my view local residents should be made aware of, by the Council, of any ASBO recipients living locally and the conditions of the ASBO. The recent problems in the East Dulwich Estate highlight the problem of not enforcing ASBO's and local people can report breaches only if they know what the conditions, such as exclusion zones, are. The position of the Lib Dem/Tory Coalition as voiced by Cllr. Jeff Hook, the Executive Spokesperson for Community safety, makes no sense and perhaps he should have a look at Andy Meyer's site, the apparent Southwark Lib Dem "Official" Blogger who states "an intelligent 'resident information scheme' that carries strong safeguards, could, I believe, be agreed" I could not agre more!!!!!
- Camberwell Green Ward in Top 5 for reported Serious Violent Crime in London. As one of the elected representatives I am extremely concerned by this and disappointed to have heard nothing form the LIB Dem?Tory Coalition on what they intend to do about it! East walworth was the other Southwark Ward in the top 5 although Coldharbour Ward in Lambeth also made it, which of course is a Lambeth part of Camberwell!
- Community Wardens - I am really concerned that whilst serious violent crime and anti social behaviour seems to be on the continual rise in Camberwell, the main Lib Dem/Tory Administration strategy is still stuck on Community Wardens, now costing around £6M per year of Council Tax Payers money. They were developed on national Labour Government models and intoduced by a Labour Administration but in London things have moved on. Labour Mayor Livingstone has introduced Polic Safer Neighbourhood Teams in every electoral ward since April and the real success of this initiative has been the role and performance of the Police Community Support Oficers (PCSO's). The Lib Dem/Tory Coaltion response is to slightly increase the numbers of wardens and give each tam a Community Council area to cover, equal numbers irrespective to need! The Labour Group will press for a much needed review which I hope will suggest smaller Community warden Teams focussing on Enviro-Crime in targetted areas and extra funding for street lighting in areas like Camberwell and the fundinsg of more PCSO's in Hot Spot areas. Community safety requires a flexible pro active approach based on current intelligence and this Administration and their Executive Member appear totally incapable of these key attributes in community safety and for that matter any other area of Council Policy!
- Bullying Scrutiny - As Chair of the Education and Childrens Services Scrutiny Sub Committee, I am focussing on school bullying and the wider problems of shcool children carrying knives and other weapons and would welcome any views on this, especialy from school children.
London Metropolitan University;
- Universities Health & Safety Association Autumn Conference Thursday 14th September 2006 - I have just about finished organising the Conference and so can relax a little before it kicks off! Then the students come back!
- Campus Watch - I am preparing for Freshers Week and developing Campus Watch this year. Plan to have regular Police Surgeries in both campuses and to focus on personal security and the dangers of spiking of drinks.
- At the moment Scotland are unbelievably 6-0 up against the Faroe Islands! Bring on Italy and France!!!
- No Hibs match this week but mixed start to season and a tough League Cup game against Gretna coming up!
- Still watching Fisher Athletic with Tony Ritchie and they have started very strongly and are at the top end of the Conference South. I recommend going to watch them as the standard is good and there are always plenty of goalmouth action!