Monday, July 20, 2009

Swine Flu, Scrutiny A and Hibs prepare for new Season!



A lot of concern at the University and in the Country as Swine Flu cases increase and I am getting some of the questions about coming in or staying away.
I am asking Departments to draw up plans for the Autumn and a possible large scale outbreak with large numbers of staff absent!
Hard to get the balance right and to be prepared without being alarmist! I am not handing our face masks yet!!
I am Chairing Scrutiny A tonight and interviewing Wayne Chance, the newish Southwark Borough Commander. I am impressed with him so far and he seems a people person rather than a bureaucrat so I am confident he will do well!
We hope to move the Employment and Enterprise Scrutiny along to a near conclusion tonight and finish it off at the next Meeting.
Hibs have started their pre-season friendlies in Scotland and will face Shamrock Rovers at their new Stadium, then Preston North End at Easter Road and two away games at Blackburn and Bolton. Three youngsters in from Everton, Man U and Falkirk and quite a few older players out the door so looks like an even younger squad for the new season so perhaps a few defeats first before they find their feet but maybe a good strategy in the longer term?
My cousin Brian, a lifelong Shamrock Rovers fan is having the time of his life with the new Stadium and the vsiit of Real Madrid tonight and Hibs next Monday!!
Would loved to have been thre next week but just cant get away but have asked Brian to get me a programme as a souvenir!

No comments: